Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Heresy at the Home of Cricket

Yes my good man Scott kindly took me along to see some test cricket courtesy of free tickets he got from someone. I had forgotten how relaxing it can be to wile away the hours... bodies strewn on the green grass beneath a blue sky... men in white occasionally stirring in the middle... small crowd milling about as if on a mass cannabis prescription. Monday cricket at the Basin.

Perfect for large cigar smoking in fact. A little bit of smuggled port to top it off and 'all is for the best in the best of worlds'.













The toes come in handy for holding those big Punch Double Coronas as you lie on the grass verges at the cricket.









































As you can see we shared a Punch DC, and like many of the big cubans it shines by virtue of its mildness and balance. Predominant cedar with a touch of wood. All the way through... no surprises. Perfect in the context. Well matched by a port. Must've taken at least one wicket to get through - on a flat pitch, with sturdy no-nonsense Pakistani test batsmen, and no real strike bowlers, that's a looong time. Long live summer.

2 comments:

  1. I had one of these last night, in my dream, and it was a dream cigar.

    I was at some school camp in a bunkbed, waking up after a wedding reception the night prior, and I pulled out this Punch DC without getting out of bed. It was glorious - honey, nuts, so smooth that it tasted beautiful despite the fact that i was smoking before breakfast. I was a bit worried about the guy on the top bunk and the possibility of a smoke alarm or a teacher finding me out. That just added to the excitement. So I can heartily recommend this cigar in your next dream...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was the humidity in your dream?

    ReplyDelete