Saturday, April 24, 2010

Cigarros con cafe

Saturday morning and the sun is shining, a gentle sea breeze caresses the kowhai leaves, and distant yachts slice their way effortlessly through shimmering waters on the horizon. Ah yes, time for coffee on the deck... and while I'm at it, why not pull out a cigar?

As a fellow prisoner of our modern age, the spectre of guilt overwhelms me at the thought of such an unproductive pass time. What of domestic duties? Or of preparation for future events - building up peers and relationships - self-improvement through cultivation of skill - turning a buck in a costly world...? Our contemporary curse, the plague that is the pandora's box of Lifestyle Options, assails me. Tick tick tock goes the clock, relentlessly driving the slaves who must account for its atomically-defined nanoseconds. I attempt to still my guilt by pulling out a laptop to mark some annoying essays. The battery fails. Time slows to the pace of the incandescent cylinder pressed between my forefingers. With every draw, the pillar of ash grows. Every once in a while, it falls to the ground. Its rich and creamy emanations soothe the mind. Peace and satisfaction prevail. Self-absorbed man of contemplation, or Doer and Achiever of many things- who is of the undead, and who is of the living? The cat stretches out, oblivious, on a warm paving stone. I am reminded of a book by Proust, A la recherche du temps perdu, of which - irony of ironies - I had only ever speed-read extracts for school. I think this is a fortunate thing. In any case...

Blessed be the cigar that affords us momentary exile from the world of options.

I confess that despite the knowledge that real prestige lies with the after-dinner cigars, the large puros that match refined drinks like whisky and generally provide greater complexity and evolution of flavour, most often the smoking urge comes on me for daytime smokes, generally late morning with coffee. Sometimes I want one before coffee, often after coffee, and every now and again i'll actually have one with coffee - like today. Some kind of biscuit and dark chocolate are also de rigueur for that blend of flavours made in heaven.
[if you must know, my fave biscuit is McVitie digestive with a dark chocolate like Scarborough Sinless; if i have them, i will go for roasted almonds instead of the biscuit; and on the rare occasions when we have any in the house, i might go for a timtam.]

As for the cigars, well you have tasted for yourselves the diminutive Cohiba Club cigarillos - the quick fix option - the Hoyo de Monterrey du Maire in the small range, and larger half-corona vitolas like the Trinidad Reyes, Cohiba Maduro5 Secretos, at a push the San Cristobal El Principe; and on the rare holiday occasions I can stomach a biggy in the day, a Montecristo no4 or even larger, a Hoyo des Dieux. Others that I can't get hold of anymore are the El Rey Del Mundo Demi-Tasse, or Gloria Cubana no4. They all have in common a medium body, more woody or cocoa type flavour, and all have a hint of sweetness. Cigars that have more to do with leather, earth, spice or a fruity twang I exclude as I'm not a coffee-or-chocolate-with-fruit kind of person. I save those ones for alcoholic partners. But that's just me.

What kind of cigarros con cafe experience floats your boat? I'm interested.

7 comments:

  1. With a write up like this, I'm looking forward to my next coffee/cigar. Will put up a review soon.

    Mean while, Andrew myself and a small brown cigar tried attempting this experience with a coffee on the weekend but failed after getting as far as the coffee, trading the rest for fishy gut hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make everything sound so dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes the fishing dilemma is an interesting one. i have tried this once or twice and resorted to lighting the cigar before touching bait or fish (on lucky days!) and then keeping cigar in mouth without fail from then on in. Goggles would make this easier and be prepared for the occasional choke. otherwise glove on one hand to keep it soft smooth and odourless for your beloved (just like that guy in Of Mice and Men). Not easy!

    ps Sam i thought that was my cleanest post so far... no double entendre or [insert other dodgy french expressions here]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because of Sam I should add the only ingredient for healthy living that is missing from this post.

    Check out this BBC News Article: Cigars, Coffee and ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice article. Confirms our suspicions. Led Hannah and I to share a Trinidad yesterday evening (no- Trinidad is not a nationality). It was impressively harsh on first few draws then mellowed into a pleasant taste throughout. Tight pack easy draw. NB- goes well with elderflower wine and/or Martini Bianco.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just put up a poll on best cigar with coffee. I think all of the options are good, but the best 2 are the Hoyo du Maire and the Cohiba Secretos. (didn't put the tiny cohiba clubs on as they are cigarillos - but great with coffee!!!).

    HdM is smaller so better as a regular option (and some of those vintage dark ones were brilliant), but for the luxury coffee experience I thought those Secretos just have slightly more complexity and a divine taste. And still not too big, in fact they are the 2nd smallest cigar we've had. Pity they are really expensive ie about $9 each before duty in a box 25. If you guys keen on more I could look into it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had San Cristobal today with Jm and Jean-Pierre Kasmerzak! Quite a spicy, woody taste. The first few were quite powerful and called out for whiskey really. Conclusion, OK with coffee but would be better with stronger drink. Nice to see it matured well. Much nicer than one I'd had 5 months ago.

    ReplyDelete